Friday, April 3, 2009

The Prescription Game

One of my favorite games to play is the "Prescription Game."

You play the game by moveing your prescription from pharmacy to pharmacy, collecting gift cards along the way. Every drugstore is fighting for your business. If you have insurance you can really rack up the savings.

Let's say I have 1 prescription that gets filled every month. Let's also say I have a $5 co-pay. Each month I move my prescription to a new phamacy.

Here's an idea of what you can get in a few months:

Month 1 Target $10 GC (Target will only give $10)
Month Rite Aid $25 GC
Month 3 CVS $25 GC
Month 4 Walgreens $25 GC

In just four short months I'd pay $20 in co-pays & get back $85 in gift cards to use for items that I would normally buy like milk.

To transfer a prescription, have your Rx bottle handy with the prescription number. Then call the new pharmacy you want it to go to. Tell them you to transfer a prescription to them. They'll ask for your name, the prescription number & what drug it is. They'll them do all the work for you, transferring it and you can stop by & pick it, without having to stand around waiting for them to fill it.

You can also, take your prescription bottle and your insurance card to the new pharmacy and they can transfer it then. You will have to wait while they fill it.

CVS will honor most stores gift card offers, just to keep your prescription. They are my favorite, by far.

1 comment:

Michelle Quinno said...

You are lucky! I don't have any to transfer. Then again, you deserve something for all the meds you are buying. :-(